Bollywood movies have their own unique way of representing Indian festivities. From weddings to pujas to Raksha Bandhan, Bollywood can attach its own musicality to these everyday Indian festivities. Bollywood Raksha Bandhan is different. It not just involves the regular proceedings of any other household Raksha Bandhan but also involves tales and legends of brother – sister relationships. Brother – sister relationships are a story trope frequently explored in Bollywood Raksha Bandhan movies.
Shree Rakhi is one such Rakhi Manufacturer in India that values the relationship between brother and sister. It has been leading Rakhi industry past 65 years only to ensure that the festival is celebrated in every corner of the world with joy and happiness.
Brother sister films in Bollywood often describe the stories that go beyond the usual Tom & Jerry rivalry. Of course, the element of fun and drama is mostly derived from these feel – good representations of sibling rivalry. Sibling rivalries are mostly depicted as bittersweet yet lovable bond a brother and a sister in these movies. While there is no separate genre such as Raksha Bandhan movies but such sibling-based movies, are must watch Bollywood movies.
Thus, it is a given that for the occasion of Raksha Bandhan, we take a look at the Bollywood Raksha Bandhan films that have left a mark on our hearts with their beautiful brother – sister-oriented storytelling. With their intricately woven storyline telling us how brothers and sisters can be the most amazing storytellers in an otherwise different plot, they can be separately known as Raksha Bandhan films.
- Hare Rame Hare Krishna – A very popular film in the 70s, this film has reached a cult status over the years. Starring evergreen stars of yesteryears Bollywood, Dev Anand and Zeenat Aman, this film is also popular for the infamous anthem – “Dum Maaro Dum”.
But did you know that at the center of this film is a brother – sister tale? The brother sister due played by Anand and Aman, respectively, are shown to have been separated at a young age. Due to their separation and their broken family dynamics, the siblings are shown embarking on a journey that remedies their estranged relationship. This makes the film an important and notable addition to our must watch Raksha Bandhan film.
- Hum Saath Saath Hain – At the center of this big Bollywood family drama is the foundation of sibling relationships. A lot like other Raksha Bandhan films, it depicts the powerful position a brother – sister relationship (in this case, more than one) holds in the Indian family dynamics. The 4 siblings share a warm and idealistic relationship that can only be aligned with Indian family values.
The concept of friendship remains the driving force behind their relationship.
- Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham – Although not a typical film depicting brother – sister relationship, it highlights the power of love that two siblings can share between them. The story revolves around two brothers who got estranged at a young age, owing to differences in opinion between the family patriarch and the older brother. Years later, the younger brother makes it a mission to go find and reunite with his long-lost brother.
Apart from the obvious feel – good factor already presents in the film; the sheer power of sibling love and attachment makes it a must watch Bollywood Raksha Bandhan film.
- Fiza – An epitome of brother – sister bonding, this film highlights how far a sister, a woman can go to unite with her loved ones. In this case, Fiza played by Karishma Kapoor loses her brother during the 1993 Mumbai riots. The brother played by Hrithik Roshan, is shown reunited with his sister. It shows that no matter the time, no matter the distance, these siblings will get back together through the sheer power of their relationship.
Fiza is a different kind of an addition to this list. It is a Bollywood Raksha Bandhan movie that goes beyond the regular story tropes and Bollywood theatrics.
- Iqbal – Siblings have such a strong bond that they care for one another with the same warmth and concern. So even though Shweta Prasad is the younger sibling, she holds the role of Shreyas Talpade’s confidante, motivator, and supporter with skill!
The most important relationship in our books is between Iqbal and his sister Khadija since she supported him from the beginning and was instrumental in getting the coach to agree to teach him how to bowl. She was his staunchest supporter.
This story between the brother and sister is all about self – less love and belief. It can easily be considered as one of the most watchable Bollywood Raksha Bandhan movies.
- Sarabjit – Bases on the true story of Sarabjit Singh and his sister, this tale transcends time above everything else. This Raksha Bandhan movie is solely based on the struggles one has to go through in order to achieve freedom. As we all know, Sarabjit Singh was wrongfully imprisoned in Pakistan for over 20 years. Probably not the ideal Bollywood Raksha Bandhan movie but it will help bring you and your sister closer.
His sister fought tooth and nail all those years to bring back her brother. This tale, although not representative of the typical feel-good storyline, holds within it, the power to move its audiences. So, if you are looking for a Bollywood Raksha Bandhan movie that will go deep into the other side of emotions, involving the evergreen brother – sister relationship, then this film is the best Bollywood Raksha Bandhan film to watch.
- Dhanak – Nagesh Kuknoor’s Dhanak is a film that is surely to bring you to tears. This highly emotional film, although a bit sad in certain parts, will fill your heart with joy and optimism. The two central characters, brother – sister duo, Chhotu and Pari, will melt your heart with their innocence and trust between each other, in spite of the hardships they might have faced in life.
- Satte Pe Satta – Conveniently, the brothers have names that correspond to the days of the week. There is the eldest Shani, called Sunny, along with Som (Sudhir), Mangal (Shakti Kapoor), Budh (Paintal), Guru, and Shukra (Sachin Pilgaonkar). The brothers in this film have a heart of gold. The bond between the brothers is a prime indicator of brotherly love and relationship.
One of the best Raksha Bandhan films, it highlights how familial ties are not to be broken in spite of the challenges and changes life throws in our way.
- Raksha Bandhan – The most recent addition to this lineup is Raksha Bandhan, released in 2022. This multi star cast film starring Akshay Kumar depicts the story of an older brother, with 5 younger sisters. Movie rakhis are commonly depicted theme in family-oriented films but this film makes it a point to keep the festivities at its center.
Akshay Kumar’s character being the responsible Indian older brother he is, waits to get his sisters married before he ties the knot himself. This ultimately causes the ire of his own love interest played by Bhumi Pednekar in the film. What is more important than the ending of the film is the close bond these five sisters share with their only brother. You should especially watch this Bollywood Raksha Bandhan movie, if you are a part of such family structures.
- Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander – Who hasn’t watched this film? Anyone growing up in the 90s must have been enamored with the stories of Ratan and Sanjay. Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander like many other brotherhood themed movies of Bollywood employs the “two – brothers” trope at the center of the film. It then utilizes their stories to give birth to the remainder of the plot points in the film.
So, without further ado, get your siblings and yourself some popcorn and sit for these amazing Bollywood Raksha Bandhan films! Wish you and your siblings have a relationship as strong as the ones in these must watch Bollywood Raksha Bandhan films.
For some amazing Rakhi designs inspired by the movies, head on to products at Shree Rakhi to get yourself the best ones available!